Spiced Guinness Cake
350ml light ale/Guinness
2 tbsp honey
200g dark muscovado sugar
400g wholemeal flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Mix the Guinness with the sultanas and leave for a couple of hours for the fruit to plump up a little and absorb some of the flavour.
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees. Grease and line the base and sides of a 900g loaf tin leaving a little of the paper above the rim to allow for any rising.
- Gently warm the honey and add to the Guinness and sultanas along with the sugar, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then pour in the Guinness mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined into a thick batter.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, spreading it evenly. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin completely before turning out.
This cake can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.