Chocolate cake mix:
200g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
140g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
Malteasers to decorate
250g butter, softened
500g icing sugar
100g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line an 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper and grease with vegetable oil.
- Cream butter and sugar together for a few minutes until soft and creamy.
- Add half the eggs and flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the rest of the eggs, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the buttercream, whisk the butter and icing sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Once completely cool, carefully cut the top with a large serrated knife. Turn the cake upside down so the bottom becomes the top.
- Eat the top J.
- Split the cake horizontally and sandwich the layers together with 1cm of buttercream.
- Spread the remaining butter cream over the top and decorate with Malteasers.