A drunken cake seeped in gin and plenty of sunny lemon makes for a great combination of my two loves: cake and gin. This cake can hold her booze, that's for sure, perhaps a little more than you can.
S U P E R B O O Z Y G I N A N D T O N I C C A K E
(Recipe adapted from Pudding Lane, makes one large 2lb loaf)
265g unsalted butter, softened
265g caster sugar
265g self raising flour
8 shots of gin
Dash of tonic water
150g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, gently one at a time, add in a few spoons of flour after each addition.
- Add the flour, lemon zest of both lemons and juice of 1 and half the gin and stir together.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- In the last few minutes of baking, prepare the drizzle. Whisk together the remaining gin, tonic, caster sugar and juice of the remaining lemon until well combined.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and poke lots of holes into the surface. Pour over the drizzle and leave to cool fully before serving.