Spring has officially sprung, hopefully at least. To celebrate I cracked out the first hot cross bun of the year and proceeded to get it stuck in my brand new toaster. As much as I love them, they do require reasonable effort. No kneading or double proving this week, just 45 minutes and two bowls for these hot cross bun muffins.
H O T C R O S S B U N M U F F I N S
(Recipe adapted from Delicious, makes 12-16 muffins)
285g dried fruit (currants, sultanas and cranberries)
375g self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
165ml sunflower oil
200g caster sugar
80g icing sugar
1tsp lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees and fill a muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- In a small bowl, soak the dried fruit in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the fruit.
- Divide between the muffin cases until two thirds full and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes. The tops will be lightly browned and a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, a few drops of hot water and mix to a smooth paste.
- Once the muffins are cool, use a piping bag to drizzle a cross onto each muffin.