Mini Lemon Meringue Cake
(Makes 1, recipe adapted from Sweet Road)
1 tablespoon margarine, or softened butter
2 tablespoons golden caster sugar
4 tablespoons & 1 1/2 teaspoons almond milk (I used soya milk), room temperature
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoon & 1 1/2 teaspoons plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
Mackay's lemon curd
egg white from 1 egg
couple of spoons of caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees celsius and grease a mini cake tray.
- Combine the margarine and sugar together until well incorporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the soya milk and mix.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the butter mixture.
- Add the remaining milk and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Once cool, hollow out the cake and fill with a spoon of lemon curd.
- For the meringue, beat 1 egg white until stiff on a high speed. Melt a spoon or two of caster sugar in equal amounts of water. Once melted, add to the stiff egg white by pouring down the side of the bowl so as not to touch the whisk. Continue to beat into silky and the mixture has cooled, felt by the bowl. Pipe onto the cake and give it a quick blast with a chef's torch.