Said cake was all ready to go, but instead it was left feeling sorry for itself in the kitchen so I thought I'd show it a little attention and post the recipe. Boy Loves Food had even helped me with its little photoshoot, he makes a good assistant.
Fresh pears make this cake really moist, with a little nuttiness from ground almonds and freshly ground cardamom to lend a little floral hint.
(Recipe from Warm Snug Fat...the best baking blog name I have ever seen!)
175g butter, softened
175g light muscavado sugar
3 medium eggs
50g ground almonds
1tsp freshly ground cardamom
175g self raising flour
2 tbsp espresso coffee
3 ripe pears, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
4 amaretti biscuits, roughly crushed
75g dark chocolate
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees and grease and line a 20 cm loose bottomed tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluff.y
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the ground almonds, cardamom, flour, coffee and two thirds of the chopped pears until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Scatter the remaining pears and two thirds of the amaretti biscuits over the top and bake for 1 hour until risen and cooked. If you insert a skewer into the centre it should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the tin and place onto a serving plate. Scatter over the remaining biscuits.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the top of the cake.