I have a little soft spot for marshmallows, quite literal too. The best gift I once received from a friend during my university years was a giant kilner jar full of all the marshmallows I could dream of. Now, I find nothing more comforting than a steaming mug of chocolate Horlicks sprinkled with some marshmallows, mini ones preferably.
In an attempt to add some colour to my blog, and to my week, I couldn't resist finishing with candy floss pink buttercream. These mini guys are filled with marshmallow fluff as a little surprise. I did share them out, honest! A few to colleagues and most to Boy...he didn't seem to mind the pink and apparently "only had one"!
Mini marshmallow cakes
(Recipe adapted from Hummingbird Bakery, make 12 cupcakes, or more if you use smaller cases like I did)
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
45g unsalted butter, room temperature
120ml whole milk
marshmallow fluff to fill the cupcakes
mini marshmallows to decorate
1 quantity vanilla frosting
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees and line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until just incorporated.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl, then pour into the flour mixture and continue to beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cakes are cold, hollow a small section in the centre of each and fill with a dollop of marshmallow fluff.
- Ice with the buttercream and top with mini marshmallows and a sprinkle of glitter.
My vanilla frosting recipe can be found here.
I've also attempted my very own coconut and gingerbread flavoured marshmallows, check them both out!